When it comes to search engine optimisation (SEO) no-one knows for sure what will help your site rank, other than the search engines themselves.
But there are certain factors that are thought to help which include using focus and semantic keywords, albeit in a natural manner.
How do you know which keywords to focus on and which semantic keywords would be most relevant?
That’s where Long Tail Pro comes in.
Long Tail Pro – The Long Tail Keywords Tool
A key feature of Long Tail Pro is to help you find long tail keywords.
That means more specific keyword phrases geared towards people who are ready to take action.
They may not be the most searched keywords but they’re ones that are often lower in competition.
Combining your focus keyword with other long tail keywords can help search engines better understand what you’re writing about.
Along with keyword research you can also check out your competitors with analysis provided for the top 10 listings on Google.
There’s also a useful keyword rank checker which you can use to find out how effective your SEO efforts have been.
These features make Long Tail Pro indispensable and the best keyword research tool for many marketers and bloggers.
LongTail Pro uses data from Google’s Keyword Planner to help you find long tail keywords.
You’ll need to have a login for Google Adwords to use it but that shouldn’t be a stumbling block.
It will give you a more powerful alternative to what Google has to offer which is much easier to use and understand.
To find keywords, all you need to do is:
- choose one of more seed keywords;
- select the data using pre-filters (optional);
- hit the Generate Keywords button.
After you’ve generated your keywords, you can apply further filters to narrow down your results.
If you forgot to apply a pre-filter, you always have the option to do it once you have your list of keywords.
You can see from the image below the type of results that Long Tail Pro will provide you with.
For this search, I used the seed keyword “long tail pro” and filtered the results to show the most searched keywords globally.
Finding long tail keywords has never been easier and your SEO keyword research efforts will start to be rewarded.
Take a look at this tutorial for a more detailed walk-through of how keyword research works on Long Tail Pro.
SEO Competitor Analysis
Once Long Tail Pro has generated keywords and fetched all of the data you require, you can then drill down further.
The Competitor Analysis feature allows you to find out which sites are ranking in the top 10 positions on Google.
It can help you decide whether or not you have a chance to outrank them.
That is after all the reason why doing keyword research is important in the first place.
Ranking on the first page of Google is the ultimate goal for longer term traffic and growth.
Let’s take a look at what Long Tail Pro’s Competitor Analysis can tell us:
What does it all mean?
Here’s a brief description of the information each column provides:
- Title and URL – the top 10 sites and URLs on Google for the keyword;
- Keyword Competitiveness – this is a Platinum feature that I’ll go into below;
- Page Authority – score out of 100 to predict how well a specific page will rank on search engines;
- Juice Links – links pointing to the page that carry real value – dofollow links that have some measure of authority;
- Domain Authority – score out of 100 to predict how well a website will rank on search engines;
- Moz Rank – reflects the importance of any given web page on the Internet (scored between 0 and 10);
- Page Rank – Google score from 0 to 10 signifying the overall strength of a page;
- Site Age – how old the site is in years.
By examining these results you can make an informed decision as to whether a keyword is suitable, especially with long tail keywords.
You can find more information about what triggers you need to look for in this tutorial.
Keyword Rank Checker
It’s one thing to find keywords to use but you also need an easy way to check whether your efforts are being rewarded.
And that’s where the Keyword Rank Checker comes in.
Long Tail Pro allows you to keep track of search result rankings for keywords you specify.
That means you can see how you’re progressing with your SEO keyword strategy.
Here’s how the keyword rank checker looks on some keywords I was previously checking on my blog:
Long Tail Pro – Additional Features
With Long Tail Pro you also get the following additional features:
- Calculate Keyword Competitiveness;
- Save your favourite keywords;
- Import lists of keywords (up to 10,000 at once).
The Keyword Competitiveness calculation is what makes Long Tail Pro the best keyword research tool available today.
The user manual describes Keyword Competitiveness as “a number between 1 and 100 that gives the overall difficulty of ranking for the keyword in Google”.
A lower number means that there’s less competition for that keyword and in theory means it should be easier to rank for.
It’s made up a number of things including page authority, juice page links, site age and social links.
It’s also adjusted based on how well the page targets a keyword.
As a rule of thumb, here’s the range broken down:
Is Long Tail Pro The Best Keyword Research Tool?
Long Tail Pro is a great tool if you want to find long tail keywords but nothing’s perfect. So what are the pros and cons?
- Much easier to use than the Google Keyword Planner;
- Fast at returning results – you can find the most searched keywords and lots of long tail keywords in seconds;
- Track your rankings to determine how well your SEO strategy’s working;
- You get access to the Long Tail University if you pay annually.
- Long Tail Pro isn’t web based so you need to install it on your computer;
- Sometimes you need to reset the link to Google’s Keyword Planner to get it to work.
How Much Does Long Tail Pro Cost?
Risk Free 10-Day Trial
You can try out Long Tail Pro risk free for 10 days to see if it’s right for you.
Long Tail Pro
The Final Verdict
Long Tail Pro has helped me get on page one of Google.
It’s a great long tail keywords tool and is fast and easy to use.
The platinum features allow you to immediately see the long tail keywords that are worth targeting.
It also adds in other factors such as social links you’d have to search for outside of the software otherwise.
So if you’re looking to step up your SEO efforts and get onto page one of Google, I recommend this tool.
Latest posts by Tim Bonner (see all)
- CoSchedule Review: The Perfect Social Media Editorial Calendar? - February 23, 2017
- Exercise On Its Own Can’t Easily Banish A Dad Bod - February 21, 2017
- 6 Things To Consider When Running A Blog - February 17, 2017